Happy Friday, Des Moines! Here’s everything you need to know to get this day started off right. Here’s what’s going on today in Des Moines.
First, today’s weather:
Breezy in the afternoon. High: 61 Low: 51.
Here are the top three stories today in Des Moines:
- Blank Park Zoo in Des Moines has decided to remove all birds from exhibits for the next month in an attempt to prevent avian flu infections. Zoo officials made the announcement on Wednesday, explaining that they are sheltering the birds from a highly infectious avian flu spreading around the country. No birds at the zoo have been diagnosed with the disease at this time. (Des Moines Register)
- Des Moines Public Schools is switching to a “mask optional” approach following the latest CDC guidance. Under the new guidelines, Polk County is considered a low-transmission community. (Local 5 – weareiowa.com)
- Mozart’s “The Magic Flute” is preparing for opening night. The 200-year-old opera is getting a new adaptation at Des Moines Civic Center. (KCCI Des Moines)
From our sponsor:
Tacking a big to-do list around the house to start the new year? Our partners at Thumbtack The home services app, have made hiring trusted local pros for pretty much any job extremely easy and intuitive. In minutes, you can find a painter, plumber, roofer or someone to help with small jobs such as trash hauling or appliance repair. And Thumbtack’s rating system can give you confidence that you’re hiring a quality pro you can count on. Click here to get started.
Today in Des Moines:
- Storytime Explorers – Urbandale Public Library (10:00 AM)
- Story Sprouts – Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden (10:30 AM)
- Dome After Dark – Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden (6:00 PM)
From my notebook:
- On Thursday, Gov. Kim Reynolds signed legislation immediately prohibiting transgender women and girls from competing in female sports Offered by Iowa schools, colleges, and universities. (Facebook)
- The Hoover Huskies are working hard to rebuild their football program with Theo Evans, a 2011 Hoover graduatetaking the position as the school’s new head coach. (Facebook)
- Harold Hamm, whose horizontal drilling technique brought a renaissance in the US oil industry, is Offering a large investment for an Iowa-based carbon-capture pipeline project. (Facebook)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Loving the Des Moines Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
- Send a friend or neighbor this link so they can subscribe
- Get your local business listed in front of readers
Thanks for following along and staying informed! I’ll be in your inbox tomorrow morning with a new update.
— Sean Peek
About me: Sean Peek is a writer and entrepreneur with a degree in English Literature from Weber State University. Over the years, he has worked as a copywriter, editor, SEO specialist, and marketing director for various digital media companies. He currently co-owns and operates content creation agency Lightning Media Partners.