Howell Police The Department will hold their annual “National Night Out,” America’s Our Against Crime event, 5-8 p.m. August 2 at Xscape Theaters Parking Lot, 5361 Route 9, Howell. Emergency response vehicles will be displayed and there will be emergency response demonstrations. At 5:30 p.m., Howell Police cadets will graduate from their Police Explorer. Vendors and DJs will also be on hand. Everyone is invited to attend National Night Out.
Colorful women A discussion group is an online meeting held once a month (third Tuesday at 5:30 p.m.) to discuss issues, coping strategies, and resources relevant to women of color. Submitted by the Mental Health Association of New Jersey. The dates for the upcoming meetings are August 16, September 20, October 18, November 22 and December 20. Email [email protected] to receive a link.
• “Women’s Gathering of Color” is an online group that meets once a month for all LGBTQ women of color in the black community, Indigenous people, and people of color. The group is an open discussion of multiple topics. The group meets on the first Thursday of the month at 6 pm. Upcoming appointments are August 4, September 1, October 6, November 3 and December 1, presented by the Mental Health Association of New Jersey, the agency’s PEWS Program and Emotional Support Initiative for Families of Color. To receive a link, email [email protected]
• Monmouth County The Park System will offer historic Battery Lewis tours July 30 and 31 from noon to 4 p.m. at Hartshorne Woods Park, Highlands, Rocky Point section. Take a tour of the restored Historic Battery Lewis and learn about the history of this important former coastal defense site. free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• Monmouth County The Park System will offer Seabrook-Wilson House tours on July 31 from 1-4 p.m. at Bayshore Waterfront Park, Middletown. Visit the early 1700s home that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and see displays about the ecology of the bay and local history. free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• Monmouth County System Park will present Fishing System 101 – A Beginner’s Guide to Fishing July 28 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Manasquan Reservoir, Howell. Learn how to groom, bait, throw, and hopefully catch a fish. Come and go anytime. Taste and intervention provided. Open to all ages. Under 14 years old with an adult. A hunting license is required for ages 16 to 69. Stop by the bait shop to sign up. No groups. free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• Monmouth County The Park System will offer Naturalist Trails at the Winter Run Activity Center July 30 at 10 a.m. in the Manasquan River Greenway, Howell, at the Winter Run Activity Center. Join the natural world of the park system at the new Winter Run Activity Center facility, which is part of the Manasquan River Greenway and adjacent to the Manasquan Reservoir. The hiking trails are approximately 45 minutes and 1 mile long. Sturdy shoes and bug spray are highly recommended. free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• Monmouth County The Park System will offer a pollinator park tour on July 29 from 10-11 a.m. at the Manasquan Reservoir Ecological Center, Howell. This private garden is designed to provide a habitat for wildlife, especially pollinators and butterflies. Take a personal tour and learn about the native plants that make them home. free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• New Jersey blood services, A division of the New York Blood Center, will conduct the following blood drives: August 2, Howell Donor Center, 4068 Route 9 South, Howell, 1:30-8:30 p.m.; August 3, Howell Donor Center, 7:45 a.m. to 2:45 p.m.; August 4, Howell Donor Center, 1:30-8:30 p.m.; August 9, Howell Donor Center, 1:30-8:30 p.m.; August 10, Howell Donor Center, 7:45 a.m. to 2:45 p.m.; August 11, Howell Donor Center, 1:30-8:30 p.m.; August 16, Howell Donor Center, 1:30-8:30 p.m.; August 17, Howell Donor Center, 7:45 a.m. to 2:45 p.m.; August 18, Howell Donor Center, 1:30-8:30 p.m.; August 23, Howell Donor Center, 1:30-8:30 p.m.; August 24, Howell Donor Center, 7:45 a.m. to 2:45 p.m.; August 25, Howell Donor Center, 1:30-8:30 p.m.; August 30, Howell Donor Center, 1:30-8:30 p.m.; August 31, Howell Donor Center, 7:45 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. To donate blood or for information on how to organize a blood drive, call 1-800-933-2566. Details: www.nybloodcenter.org
• Monmouth County The show will take place July 27-31 at the East Freehold Showgrounds, Freehold Township. Hours of Operation: 4-11 p.m. Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday; Saturday from 11 am to 11 pm; and from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Sundays. General admission is $8 per adult; Children 17 years of age or younger are allowed to enter for free. Follow the Monmouth County Park System on social media. Upcoming fair competitions will be announced on the park system’s Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages, providing a chance to win entry tickets and more. The exhibition is organized and presented by the Monmouth County Park System in association with the Monmouth County 4-H Association. Details: www.MonmouthCountyFair.com
• The DowntownFreehold.com The Rock Concert Series takes place every Thursday from 7:30-9:30 p.m. at the Monmouth County Hall of Records plaza, Main Street, Freehold Borough. Concerts are free. Bring a lawn chair. The schedule is as follows: July 28, Chuck Lambert band with Coo Moe Jhee; August 4, Parrot Beach; August 11, Colossal Street Jam; August 18, Pat Guadagno & Friends; August 25, Turnstyles.
• Freehold area The Arts Council 2022 Summer Jazz, Blues, and More Concert Series will take place every Sunday through August (June 5 through August 28) from 7-9 p.m. at Downtown Freehold Gazebo, Main Street, Freehold Borough. Concerts are free. Bring a lawn chair.
• For individuals who Dealing with depression, bipolar disorder, and anxiety, there is support available that is free and confidential and is run by a trained facilitator. The Depression and Bipolar Disorder Support Alliance meets Wednesday from 12:30 to 2 p.m. at Brighter Days Community Wellness Center, 268 Bennetts Mills Road, Jackson. There are no doctors or therapists in the group, only individuals with a mental health condition. Members strive to support each other and share their stories. Details: Valerie, 610-766-0658, or visit dbsalliance.org
History Book items can be sent to [email protected] Please send in items at least two weeks prior to the scheduled event.